Mormon Polygamous Family pre 1890.
One of the most identifiable traits of Mormonism is polygamy. It’s a hot topic in today’s culture and the history of the LDS church is full of it. From it’s founder to this very day, Mormons have embraced Polygamy as a vital part of ones progression to exaltation. While it’s true that the LDS church officially banned the practice in 1890 through a manifesto written by then prophet Wilford Woodruff, polygamy is still very much a part of every Mormon’s life.
Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism, had at least 20 wives. Some say even up to 33. But here is a list provided by mrm.org
1. Louisa Beaman Apr 5, 1841
2. Zina Diantha Huntington Oct 27, 1841
3. Prescendia Lathrop Huntington Dec 11, 1841
4. Desdemona W. Fullmer 1842
5. Mary Elizabeth Rollins (Lightner) Jan 17, 1842
6. Patty Bartlett (Sessions) Mar 9, 1842
7. Marinda Nancy Johnson (Hyde) Apr 1842
8. Eliza Roxcy Snow Jun 29, 1842
9. Sarah Ann Whitney Jul 27, 1842
10. Martha McBride (Knight) Aug [3] 1842
11. Almera Woodard Johnson Apr 1843
12. Ruth D. Vose (Sayers) Feb 1843
13. Eliza Partridge Mar 8, 1843
14. Helen Mar Kimball May 1843
15. Lucy Walker May 1, 1843
16. Emily Partridge May 11, 1843
17. Sarah Lawrence May 11, 1843
18. Rhoda Richards Jun 12, 1843
19. Melissa Lott Sep 20, 1843
20. Fanny Young (Murray) Nov 2, 1843
So why Polygamy? Well on July 12, 1843 Joseph Smith gave D&C 132:58–66, (Laws governing the plurality of wives are set forth) as a revelation from God. The section itself states that this revelation had been known since 1831.
Brigham Young, LDS’s 2nd prophet said the following: “Now if any of you will deny the plurality of wives, and continue to do so, I promise that you will be damned; and I will go still further and say, take this revelation, or any other revelation that the Lord has given, and deny it in your feelings, and I promise that you will be damned.”
But since 1890, polygamy has been banned by the church, any member who is caught practicing the plurality of wives is excommunicated.
However, we’ve all heard about Mormons who still practice polygamy today, who are they? They are from any number of splinter groups primarily from the FLDS, or Fundamental Latter Day Saints. These are the people who were raided in Texas and FLDS prophet Warren Jeffs was taken to prison. The FLDS believe that the LDS Church gave in to political pressure and that the 1890 manifesto was not of God, but rather in fear of being destroyed by the US Government. The manifesto did come at an incredibly convenient time, seeing as the United States would not allow Utah statehood until the issue of polygamy had been taken care of. The LDS believe that the manifesto is of God and that practicing polygamy today is against the law of God. LDS think the FLDS is apostate, and vice versa.
Also interesting to note would be Wilford Woodruff view on Polygamy before he wrote the 1890 manifesto: "If we were to do away with polygamy, it would only be one feather in the bird, one ordinance in the Church and kingdom. Do away with that, then we must do away with prophets and Apostles, with revelation and the gifts and graces of the Gospel, and finally give up our religion altogether and turn sectarians and do as the world does, then all would be right. We just can't do that, for God has commanded us to build up His kingdom and to bear our testimony to the nations of the earth, and we are going to do it, come life or come death. He has told us to do thus, and we shall obey Him in days to come as we have in days past" (JOD 13:165 - p.166).
Even though faithful LDS agree that polygamy shouldn’t be practiced during this lifetime, they still believe it is an essential part of their personal progression. In the case where a man loses his wife while on earth, if he is sealed to another woman they will both be his wives in the next estate. If a Mormon does not have the opportunity to partake of plural marriage while alive, they believe they will be given the opportunity after death.
LDS claim that polygamy has always been a part of God’s plan and use the Old Testament patriarchs as their example. While it is true that our forefathers did practice polygamy, there is nothing in the Bible that shows God doing anything more than allowing it. God never encouraged plural wives or concubines, and the Bible as well as the Book of Mormon are actually monogamous in nature! In the Book of Mormon Jacob 2:27: says "Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none."
The issue I have with this is that if God really instituted the practice of Polygamy, I wouldn’t let the United States bully me into disobeying God’s law. Although faithful LDS will hold that God really did suspend the practice, I think they timing was too convenient for the church. This is only personal opinion though and open to individual decisions.
The Mormon people are more than just polygamy, it is sad that most people stop at polygamy and write them off. To me polygamy doesn’t seem like the worst thing the LDS church believes in, but that’s because I believe the LDS isn’t the true church. Everyone can’t learn everything about everything, there just isn’t enough time. But since you’re reading this, you should know that polygamy is just a small part of the LDS, not it’s defining doctrine.
I personally have no problem with polygamy or polyandry as long as the marriages are consensual and everyone involved is of age. I also think that everyone involved should all be inter-married as well. Like rather than just 1 man married to 2 women it would be 1 married to 2 women and each woman would be married to the man and the other woman. Also the numbers coulnt get to crazy. A limit at like 5 or somthing I dont know, it would have to be decided in the law.
ReplyDeleteWell the women marrying each other would fall under the homosexuality clause... Something Mormons would never do. I don't have any particular problem with Polygamy aside from it being against God's will.
ReplyDeleteI am speaking in a secular sense Panos. I always will be.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the big deal with marriage in a secular sense? Marriage is a religious institution so what exactly do you think secularizing it will accomplish?
ReplyDeleteMarriage in a secular sense is more of a symbolic statement of two peoples love and desire to be together. In terms of trying to accomplish something there really isnt much to accomplish. Civil marriages are offered in Canada and at this point they out number religious marriages. And from what I can tell there really isn't a difference between them.
ReplyDeleteI would actually prefer the government get right out of the way on this... Christian churches marry Christians, LDS Marry Mormons... Secular institutes marry Secular people. Each institution posts their own rules, case closed.
ReplyDeleteMarriage is more of a legal matter than a religious one here, and I think thats actualy for the better.
ReplyDeleteI would disagree, but we've strayed off topic... Let's get back to Polygamy, any questions involving the subject matter, anyone? Anything I may have mis-represented or botched up?
ReplyDeleteI'm Amulon's sis and had a few thoughts about polygamy. Being a girl (obviously), I've always had a hard time regarding the "fairness" of this doctrine. I don't think I will fully come to grips with it until I'm (hopefully) perfected in the afterlife. :) That being said, we LDS believe in a restoration of all things, and in the primitive church, polygamy was practiced. The doctrine was re-introduced in the 1800s, served its purpose, and now we stick with one spouse. Another thought -- from what I've heard (can't remember the source), more woman than men will be in the Celestial Kingdom, so without the 1:1 ratio some polygamy will have to be allowed in order for God's promises to be fulfilled (families, children, etc.). We will still have free will, and all parties will have to agree to it. Panos, you are right. Polygamy is a small aspect of the LDS Church, but it seems to be the most identifiable aspect. When I lived in NYC for a summer, I got a few snide remarks after saying I was a Mormon -- all related to polygamy. Seriously, I don't even know a polygamist! That characterization is so foreign to me, because it's not what I know.
ReplyDelete@Pike
ReplyDeleteIt's great to meet you, you bro is one of the coolest people I've ever met, and being the first Mormon I've gotten to know, has painted a very impressive picture of Mormonism.
When you referenced the "Primitive Church" were you referring to the New Testament Church? Or Old Testament Patriarchs? I have found no support that polygamy was practiced by the New Testament church, but am open to any sources you may have :)
As for the male/female ratio in the Celestial Kingdom, the only way it would be anything other than 1:1 would be due to polygamy. Seeing as a Sealing Marriage is a prerequisite to even being there, since there have been plural marriages already sealed, and those who marry another wife after the first have died, the ratio would have to be favoring females. One question this raises is if a woman's husband dies, is she allowed to be re-sealed to another man? That would prove to be a sticky situation in the next estate ;)
I appreciate your comment and thank you for stopping by the site, if you have any suggestions for future posts, we're all ears :)
God Bless you!
-Paul
well it's incredibly annoying when you have a whole long post... and then you change web pages and it gets erased. it's impossible to duplicate all the thoughts that were just racing through my head, but here's the gist... haha I'm a latter-day saint and obviously don't have a problem with polygamy or else I would have rejected the church long ago. I never necessarily understood it though. Or knew what it's purpose was. However, through teachings and personal experiences I've learned that we follow God's commands without question. He is an omniscient being and knows what the outcome of everything will be. Sometimes we don't understand why we are following a teaching, but we do it anyways and later see the result and see that it is the best thing for us. In other cases, you do not see the result and never know how a specific commandment affected/helped someone. But God knows that it's right. Futhermore, it has been taught, even by the leaders of the LDS church themselves, that prophets make mistakes. They are still very subjected to the adversary's power. God will never let false doctrines be taught in His church. He would somehow stop something from being taught should it be wrong principles. About a year ago I was talking with the patriarch in my area on the subject of polygamy. I had never thought of this, but he explained that God needed His church to grow. It's true that investigators back in those days were being baptized and increasing the membership of the church. However, the church needed many more members. It needed to build it's stability and strength so that all of the mobs that would soon be rising against them would not destroy their newly reorganized church. This is when the Lord commanded polygamy. I think that many times people think (i also tend to be this way) that the members of the church just said, 'alright. God wants us to be polygamists? Well then we will be. Who should I marry first?' No, it would have been very very difficult for the saints to except this teaching. This was going against all that they had been taught. It took great faith and courage for them to follow their prophet and I'm very impressed at all they gave up. Through polygamy many children were brought into this world and into the church and covenant. Many would eventually grow to become strong members and missionaries to teach the people and bring them unto the church. This was very effective and the church grew. We have had many past examples of God giving a commandment and later retracting it. An example of this is the law of Moses. It was needed for various reasons, but when Christ came to earth, He fulfilled that law and it was taken away and replaced by new doctrine by the Father. Paul, I believe that there is no such thing as coincedence or luck. God's hand is in everything that happens on this earth and He is fully aware of it all. He is a very merciful being full of strong unconditional love for all of His children here on earth. Although we go through many hardships and trials, He does not like to see us suffer. If it is possible to take away some of our burdens, He will. Accordingly, with this increasing persecution there were deaths and falling aways from the church as well as people were getting discouraged from joining the church because they could see all of the hardships the members were having to bare. In order to keep His church strong and keep it in the best state he could, it was necessary for Him to take this commandment from the people. It had served the purpose it was made for. Just as we no longer support the law of Moses, we as a church also do not support polygamy anymore. I do not even know a polygamist just as Amulon's sister doesn't. I hope I covered most of everything I had typed before. I really hope this helps anyone wondering about polygamy though. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, that is one long comment :) It had some very very good points. Good job Anonymous. Mormons rule!
ReplyDeletehaha i know it. thanks bry. :) p.s. i said the part about the prophets having adversary too to point out that although we very very highly respect the prophet of the church, he is not a God figure. We do not worship him. He does however, hold the spirit very surely and even though he is attacked by the adversary he is given the strength he needs through the spirit to reject it. I have never ever ever ever in my life ever known a prophet to give any false direction. ever. :)
ReplyDeleteAnon,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your input! Losing a comment due to web page reloads has to be on my top ten pet peeves list ;) The length of the lost post seems to have an exponential effect on how poor of an attitude I have as a result :)
You're right in saying that we see only in part with regards to the commandments of God. I have no doubt that even the greatest theologians will be pleasantly surprised when we eventually see the omniscient glory of Gods entire plan. Simple things like that part in Leviticus (14:33-40) that tells you what to do if there is mold in your house, there's probably endless spiritual life in those verses that we simply cannot see... yet ;)
You're right, all men are fallible, even Mormon Prophets. But how do you know that a Prophet cannot lead you astray? The closest source I can find for such a promise is in the greatly "unofficial" Journal Of Discourses.
Was Brigham Young leading the church astray when he told people that they needed to accept Polygamy on pain of damnation? Or Was Woodruff giving in to political pressure, seeing the manifesto as a way to preserve the restored church?
You're also correct in asserting that many LDS had a hard time accepting polygamy, I remember reading somewhere that even Brigham Young was against it before he was for it (Sounds political lol).
Where I have to disagree with you is the notion that God "retracted" the Law of Moses. Jesus said "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." Matt 5:17
The only place that I can find precedence for God reversing a former commandment is in the restriction of certain foods, which were declared clean in Peter's vision (Acts 10)Even then it's a stretch :P If you have more examples I'd be more than happy to hear them.
As for coincidence and luck, I don't believe I ever claimed either of those being the case for polygamy, maybe you're getting that from my use of the word "convenient" which would have not been coincidence or luck regardless of who's authority you believe the manifesto was written.
Most Mormons rock, however some suck. Same goes for Christians and Everyone else ;)
you sound like the rock type Anon, feel free to hang around offer more (slightly less long) comments ;) God Bless!