Monday, November 29, 2010

The Chosen One/ Faith: Myth or Legend?




As The Chosen One, I shall bring balance to the Farm! I was nominated by the Academy Awards to be a contributer on this amazing blog so here comes the introduction of...The Chosen one!
Name: Jacob Andrew McClellan
Former Place of living: Provo, Utah
Current Place of living: Mapleton, Utah(which has one traffic light and one gas station)
Claims to Fame: Got stuck under a garage door, drove a van by the age of 7, stuck my head between two basketball poles(Bryan knows all about it.) :)
Favorite Color: Green with a hint of sky blue
Favorite Fruit: Kiwifruit
Dreams and Hopes: Grow a kiwifruit farm in Utah. Become a famous business man and sip lemonade out of a twisty, bendy straw that tastes like strawberries.
Social Security Number: If I don't know it, why should you?! :)
I am excited to start contributing to this blog! This is the first post I've ever posted in me whole life, so nobody can criticize without my permission....you have my permission. :) I am of the LDS church and it has been an incredible experience. I have known Bryan since 7th grade so....a lot of years.

Faith is a crucial part of the LDS religion. Even more crucial than kiwis are to the New Zealand culture. That's a lot of crucial! Anywho, let's get down to the basics. Faith is defined by Alma in Alma 32:21 as "Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.". I always think of Santa Claus when I read this verse. :) Now faith requires two things for it to work wholeheartedly, action and power. I have a story about a man:

Once upon a time, there was a man. The end!!....just kidding :) And because this man was a rock climber, this man decided to climb up Ayers Rock in Australia. He's strolling all around on this rock, when he decides to look out at the view. It was a gorgeously, blisteringly hotly day in Australia. Something shiny below him caught his eye. He leans out farther to try to see it. Nope, can't see it. So, he leans farther out. Still couldn't tell what it was. So, he leans even farther out, when all of a sudden!!....
Falling....
falling....
falling.....til he snags a tree branch jutting out from the cliff wall! Now he starts praying like never before!
"Lord, please help me off of this cliff, I have a life to live! I have places to go and people to see! I have a wife who I love dearly, I have three children who I hope love me! I still haven't finished my 1000 piece puzzle I started in 7th grade!".
Well, after a time, God answers, "Hmmm...would you let go of the branch if I sent a helicopter with a ladder to save you?"
"Oh yes, Lord! I would let go!"
"Alright, would you let go of the branch if I sent a rescue squad to save you?"
"Yes oh yes! I would ever so let go!"
"Good, good. Now, will you let go of the branch if I told you I was going to send a burst of wind so powerful that it would blow you back up to the top of the cliff?"............
The Official End

Faith requires that we put our trust in the Lord. It is not an easy thing to do. But it is always worth it.
Now put yourself in this dude's position. Would you have enough faith to believe that the Lord would push you back up by wind? Previous to the story, I said the faith requires action and power. God provides the power, the only question is: will you provide the action?

May your kiwis grow ever so large and may your Christmas be merry!
P.S. Another scripture on faith: Hebrews 11:1.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome, Jacob! Loved the video on 'Grocery Store Wars' - very cute.

    Yes, faith is a big part of a Christian's life as well. I am on a current journey of faith, trusting God every step as our family has left everything we knew from one state as we have traveled to another. Most people won't 'jump' unless they can see the provision of safety with their physical eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jacob! I actually did a similar post back in May called "I Find Your Lack Of Faith Disturbing". :) I'm sure you'll recognize the statement as pure Star Wars, haha we even both have Star Wars pictures for our Faith posts! :D I think I like you already :P I'd like to get your take on my post when you get the chance!

    A few points from your post I'd like to address:

    You mention Santa Claus as something Alma 32:21 reminds you of :) I know we've got a comedic approach to our writing, but I was wondering if you weren't being serious about this. To me, Santa Claus would be a perfect example of the was people should NOT use Alma 32:21. My reasoning is pinned on the ending words "which are true." People can (and do) have faith that Santa is real, but no matter how great their faith, it would be misplaced, because there is no jolly old man in a red suit being flown around the world in a single night by reindeer to deliver presents by way of chimney. ;) ...So just wondering if you really thought Santa was an example of Alma, or an exception. (inception?) ;)

    In response to your question about how I'd respond as the man in your story: I'd first ask the invisible person talking to me how I could be sure that He was God. Then, it being God, He'd be able to let me know in a way I could be sure it was Him. At that point, He could tell me anything and I'd do it. If the voice told me to jump and die I would. Cause it's God. And you should do what He says. Cause He's smarter than you. :)

    My main condition was knowing if it was God tho. If I was just hanging on a limb and a thought goes thru my head "let go, you'll be ok." I wouldn't dare let go! That voice could have been me! Or worse! A demon! I just have to know that my faith is being placed in the right hands before making that "leap" ;)

    Amazing stuff tho Jacob! You've got my mind all a workin! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never fear the Screaming Nephite is here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, you are perfectly right! Santa is an inception to that scripture. Although...a jolly, red man has just been spotted outside the town of Albuquerque! He was riding an elephant while eating a lollipop. Sounds like he got a sunburn. :)

    It's true! It might have been Satan who was speaking to you. Good point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D So if people can misplace their faith in Santa Claus, can we conclude that it's possible for people to misplace their faith in a God or religion?

    How can we know if we're misled in our beliefs, however sincere they may be?

    ReplyDelete