
Are Mormon's Christian? Yes. Are Christians Christian? uuuh huh. :) But what exactly does it mean to be Christian? Well, there are a lot of different facets to being a Christian. Let's cover different ways in which it means to be "Christian" one at a time.
In the traditional sense, being a Christian simply means to be Christ-like. Going by this meaning, anybody in the whole world can be a Christian. Actually, even someone who is an atheist can be Christ-like. Looking at it this way doesn't put much stock in the meaning of being a Christian. Does it now? In this sense, both Mormons and Christians can be equally Christ-like.
From a Christian's point of view, ahem Paul's, Christianity would be professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus. But guess what, a Mormon, namely me, also has the same view. It would seem that this definition would be interchangable for both faiths. Does that mean that Mormonism and Christianity are the same religion? Well that's just ridiculous. What would be the point in having two separate faiths that are the same. I mean, seriously. So let's find out what's different.
Mormon's and Christian's are indeed two very different religions guys. In fact, it is a common claim that the two religions don't even serve the same Christ. You might ask, well how can there be two different Christs? Does it mean there are two separate people or just that we have different perceptions of the same man? Let's ask the man what he has to say. Hey President Hinckley, do you think Latter-day Saints believe in the “traditional Christ” of Orthodox Christianity? Hinckley replied: "No I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the dispensation of the fullness of times." Based on this quote by Pres. Hinckley, it would seem that only those following the "True Christ" could accurately call themselves Christian. Going by the second definition I gave of being Christian the ones following the false Christ would be anything but Christian.
Soo... going back. Are Mormon's Christian? Well... Yes and no. Are Christians Christian? No and yes. Before you accuse me of being indecisive you just gotta realize that the answer hinges upon which definition you are referring to. Mormon's and Christian's can both be Christ-like while only one faith can serve the one true Christ.
Going back yet again, but this time not quite so far, we have the definition, “professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.” Yes this is true. This can be defined as Christian, but being a Mormon, a Latter-day Saint, I believe it to be something much more involved than that. There are so many aspects and examples to follow. It’s not just having faith that Christ was real and our Savior that makes you Christian. It’s trying your best to follow in his very footsteps. Also, I believe Jesus Christ to be a son of God, in the same way as I am a daughter of God, who gave of himself and came to earth to be a Savior to all people and suffer for the sins of the world so that every person would be able to have a chance at returning to live with Him and our Heavenly Father.
Questions??? + Questions!!! = Questions??!!?! I’m basically expecting questions. Questions of what the differences are, questions of what Pres. Hinckley meant (although I most definitely cannot speak for him), questions of lemonade, etc. Bring it! What I can’t answer, I’m sure Paul would be happy to oblige. :)
Great post Michelle! There were some people who had an issue with the title of the blog, saying that it insinuated Mormons weren't Christian... I guess the politically correct title would have been "Orthodox Christian" but even then you've got the implication that Mormons aren't orthodox ;)
ReplyDeleteThe bottom line was that Christians don't have any other "cool" name to call themselves, Mormons did, so we decided that this title would be the most understandable in the least amount of words :) Even still it's a long name ha!
I actually do get a lot of people telling me that they're bothered by it saying "Mormon" instead of Latter-day Saint. But I figure that for people who don't know the LDS church they have probably mostly just heard of "Mormons" so having the name say Mormon would catch their interest because they're heard of that. Whereas they don't exactly know what a Latter-day Saint is.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I've heard that as well. Originally the term "Mormon" was used as a derogatory reference to the early LDS church members... But now it's clearly accepted! For anyone who still takes issue with the term Mormon, I would point them to the name of the official LDS choir :) Also check out www.mormon.org :P
ReplyDeleteI understand that "The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints" is the official and recommended title to use, but wow... Someone wasn't thinking about URL's when they came up with that ;)
So if I were to run into someone, say at the library or wherever, and the subject of religion and/or faith came up, I would clearly identify myself as a 'Christian' in the conversation. Would a Mormon/LDS identify themselves as a Latter Day Saint and/or a Mormon or would they simply say that they are a Christian as well?
ReplyDeleteI love it Great Job Michell!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rocky. :) We wouldn't identify outselves as Christian. We are, but we would say Latter-day Saint/Mormon. In Utah, you could just tell someone you were LDS and they would understand a majority of the time. Outside of Utah though, I think you would have to say Mormon for them to know what you were talking about.
ReplyDeleteIf I remember correctly, I believe Bryan introduced himself as a "Latter-Day Saint".
ReplyDeleteI have a question. So if you say we return to our live with our Heavenly Father, how does the whole having family for eternity and reaching "godhood" apply to that? I'm just curious! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWell, there are separate kingdoms in heaven. (Sorry if any of this is stuff you already know. Just bear with me! :P) From the least degree to the highest the kingdoms are Telestial, Terrestial and Celestial. It gets a little deep and we don't know a whole lot about it, but the Celestial Kingdom itself is also split into three degrees. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ reside in the highest degree of glory, but can visit all of the Celestial Kingdom. To reach the Celestial Kingdom you must be married and sealed to your fiance/spouse in the temple. In the temple you're sealed to your entire family for time and all eternity so that as long as you each keep the commandments and your covenants, you will stay a family sealed and bonded together forever in heaven after this life. Obviously earning the right or blessing of becoming a God or Goddess has a lot of steps and is very involved. One of them though, is to marry in the temple. So it all ties together. Being married in the temple keeps you sealed to your family for eternity as well as bringing you closer to Godhood as well as bringing you to live in the Celestial Kingdom with our Savior and Heavenly Father. :) The end. Did I answer what you were asking?
ReplyDelete@Michelle Can you be wih your family forever and become a God/Godess at the the same time?
ReplyDeleteFor instance, let's say our Heavenly Father was sealed to his family at one point. He had a mother, father, two brothers, and a sister. His father attained exaltation as well, but his brothers apostatized when they were in their 20's. His sister remained Mormon, but didn't take it that seriously and married a non-believer.
In that scenario, who would be together for eternity?
Yep you can do both! Being a family forever is not a difficult thing. Becoming a God/Goddess is a little bit more involved and trying on you. But I shouldn't answer any questions about that topic because I don't know much about it really. Being a family forever just needs the basics. Obeying the commandments, praying to Heavenly Father, being an active member, reading your scriptures, service, completing callings in your ward, etc. Just the things active, invested members do who are striving to be their best. So yeah, you can for sure do both.
ReplyDeleteWell... I'm not in heaven so I can't say exactly what would happen because I haven't seen that. Also, Heavenly Father will judge each person after they leave this life and I can't say how he would judge them because there's so much in them we don't know that he does know. He looks on the heart. You would be in the highest kingdom you obtained with the family members who strove for that as well. Being sealed to your family isn't a free pass. Each individual in the family still has their agency to choose a good, righteous life or a bad lifestyle.
Matt 6:24: No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
If you serve mammon you will not receive the blessing of living with your family for eternity. You can't reside with God and serve mammon. So I would think him and his parents if thats the state his siblings were in when they passed away.
Nicely put!
ReplyDeleteI know you can't "know" where people would go based on a superficial summary of their lives, but you did well. :)
So, even though a person might get sealed to their family, that doesn't guarantee the 'whole' family will be together? I mean I guess it would depend on what heaven they get in and/or if they reach exaltation right?
In the aforementioned scenario you guess that only the faithful man and his faithful parents would enjoy being a part of an eternal family?
Also, what exactly is mammon? Thanks!
Correct. Each person is responsibly for themselves. But if they live their lives in the way they are taught to, they are guaranteed eternal life with those in their family who do the same. :)
ReplyDeleteI actually looked up mammon. It's basically material wealth that creates evil. Like worshipping worldly things instead of Christ and Heavenly Father, but that's the definition given to me by my fellow friend, Worldbook. I see, and I think most people in my church would agree, that serving mammon just means serving evil or Satan in general. Placing all your importance on worldy things is turning towards Satan anyways and he is definitely able to cause problems with more than just wealth. That's just a way he starts.
oops! :P **responsible
ReplyDeleteYou answered it basically, but I guess my question now would be do you have to separate from the Heavenly Father and Christ to become God/Goddess, or is the Heavenly Father still with His family? Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to say this, but I don't know. ha That starts to get really deep into stuff we're not openly taught about. There's a lot of possibilities. We could work as God's/Goddess's at God's side or leave him and Christ to create our own worlds as he has. Maybe create our own worlds, but still in his presence? I will look up some things though and get back to you!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I appreciate it!
ReplyDelete