Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Because my mom told me.....



First let me take a minute to properly introduce myself. My name is Debbie. I am a Christian – a proud Christian who loves her Heavenly Father and is grateful to Jesus for making it possible for me to have direct access to God. I have decided to spend my life doing what I can to be a witness for God by following the examples of Jesus. I am not always perfect in that pursuit therefore is grateful for grace, but since quitting is not part of my vocabulary, no matter what situation I face….I win.

I was not raised as a Christian – in fact I wasn’t even raised with any religion at all. It wasn’t until I was living in Hawaii at the age of 21, stuck in a bad marriage, that I realized even though I was living in ‘paradise’ and had a beautiful daughter, my life was completely empty. Off in search of something real – I attended a local denominational church. What a disappointment. As I sat in this church looking at some of the same people I was sure I saw in the bar the night before, all dressed up, stiff necked portraying a God that was boring, impersonal and hard to understand, I realized, no, church wasn’t my answer.

Then, one day, a friend invited me out to a day of shopping, well, if I came to her church with her first. Sneaky, but it worked. I entered this church and noticed that some members were Asian, some were black, some Samoan, some white. Some were wearing suits, some had shorts and dread locks. Some families and some single parents. And each one of them seemed to love this Jesus, whom I didn’t know, and were even having fun worshipping God, who I may add, seemed very interested in their lives. THIS made sense to me. The same God who I later discovered created all the beauty and variety that I saw in nature, was the same God that created all the variety that I see in people. I quickly decided to give my life to this very interesting, loving, capable God and have never gone back on that decision.

God has truly blessed my life. He gave me a new life, a new marriage, and 4 more beautiful children that I have the joy of homeschooling. Now, my eldest daughter & son in law have even blessed me with 2 beautiful granddaughters. I am a blessed lady, indeed. Yes, I suppose I am the ‘seasoned’ one of this blog, for now, but since I plan to live to 120 – I am not even middle aged yet, so watch the ‘old’ jokes. LOL!

Now that you know just a little (and I do mean a little) about me – it brings me to my post ‘question’ for the month. As I stated earlier, I educate my 4 remaining children at home. I choose their curriculum carefully and, of course, include teachings about God and Jesus along with their other studies. Recently I was thinking, I have always tried to challenge my children in critical thinking and try to give them as much opportunity to make many life choices on their own, with my guidance and age appropriate, naturally. But here is my thought; do my children follow God solely because I have indoctrinated my beliefs into them or is it because they truly love the Lord and have come to that conclusion on their own? I mean, my plan is that they will choose to give their lives over to God and serve Him with everything that is in them, make no mistake on that, but my questions is do we, as a society, believe what we do because we had a life changing experience? Or is it possible that someone, even a relative, has indoctrinated us? How about you? Did your parents raise you to believe what they believe, or someone else? How do we know, that we know, that what we believe is from our own discoveries and not just something that was planted by someone else? Hmmmm??

7 comments:

  1. The great posts are just a flooding! :D

    I love your question Debbie, here's how it happened for me:

    I grew up as a "Christian" in the sense that my parents would drag me to church every once in a while. I hated church tho... Sunday mornings were filled with hatred and being late and being rushed. Then when we got to church we were supposed to "act nice" and all that... I thought it was a bunch of crap and one time I actually stood in the hall of the church and kept screaming till my mom was forced (out of embarrassment) to take us home. After that, my parents quit even attempting to go to church. (Victory Paul Day).

    Even tho I hated church, I still considered myself a "Christian"... I believed in God, so I must be a Christian, right? I never read the Bible, never prayed except in extreme need... I lived just like the world and had little clue who Jesus Christ really was.

    Through a crazy series of events, I was introduced to the church I currently attend at the age of 17. I was intrigued by how "different" the church was compared to the boring stuff I was used to. I liked it :) I began exploring what these people believed, began reading the "Bible" and after a few months finally took the step of faith in confessing Jesus Christ as Lord of my life.

    I can honestly say that I wasn't indoctrinated, if anything, my parents were good "bad examples" on church, God, and the like. :P I chose Jesus of my own free will and have never stopped questioning and testing the faith that I have. I will follow truth wherever it leads :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it matter? LOL. Having asked that question countless times myself, and thinking of my own children, here...the answer I always come back to is this. The O.T. emphasizes parents teaching their children in the Lord. The early Christian church saw whole families baptized. I don't think the early church would've been concerned:) I think it is something modern day Christians are concerned with (having an "official" date of conversion, making sure that Christ is our own, etc.) I worry about this every time someone tells me that their children were baptised and chose Jesus of their own free will. But I come back to the same answer every time:) It's a good thing if my children are raised in this faith and carry on this tradition thru their lifetime. It's great to see you blogging, Deb!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    Just to give a scripture reference for Wee Pip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. or Sarah I guess. hah sorry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I became a "Christian" at age 7. Being raised with my mother a Christian, my father an a non-believer. I really came to Christ and began to understand the depth of my faith at 14 years old. My mother took us to church until I was bout 9, and then she didn't force us. I finally went back when my life was in shambles. There I found the Christ that took my shambles and healed my hurts. Ever since then I've hit thr ground running. I do have to say that my dad being a non-believer and my mom not forcing us to go to church gave me a sense of my own faith compared to people I've become friends with who share my faith. My best friend, who was raised in church, has struggled until recently with her faith because it was never really her own. But the downside to me having my own faith is that my siblings are now non-believers. But I know the Holy Spirit is working on them. But I agree with Michelle's verse, Proverbs 22:6. I don't know if it's all an act, but the Duggar family seems to be a good example of this verse! Who knows! But I loved reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, as Christians we must train our children to follow the ways of Jesus. With the proper 'seeds' planted they will grow up to make a decision for Him.

    In the end we all must make the ultimate choice to follow, or not follow what we may have been taught as a child. From what I see in Paul's case, and really in mine too, we chose to NOT follow what we were 'taught' as a child and follow the real Jesus and His genuine examples. That was a good thing for us! LOL!

    Because I meet so many adults that follow certain religions and/or beliefs only because that was what mom or dad did, my heart and goal is that I am raising my kids (as part of the next generation of Christians) to truly KNOW what they believe and WHY they believe it and not just follow "because my mom told me".

    Peace....
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with where these comments are going. First the child follows because of parental leanings but ultimately they have to accept or deny it for themselves. My quandry is the question of forcing your kids to attend church if their heart isn't in it. On one hand you hope that something seeps in regardless on the other you don't want their discontent to cause disruption to the classes they are in. I have four children myself and they are all at varying degrees of faith and acceptance of God existence and his gift in Jesus Christ. God gave us a free will so we can only mandate their thinking for so long and so far. But by all means pray for the best "as for me and my house we shall follow the Lord" maybe not all today but someday. Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete